Monday, May 4, 2009

Locarno and Ascona

On Sat morning (which makes it May 2), we took the S-Bahn (or something that is a mix between a train and intercity tram) from Lugano to Locarno. After arriving in Locarno, we went to the hotel, were we left our luggage and decided to walk to Ascona (after a lengthy discussion to bike or walk and what are the pros and cons of each method).
We passed interesting spots where we saw benches and trees that are pretty much in the lake :) And after walking along the highway or so we ended up in Ascona where the cars and the houses were yelling: "Money.. we have money!" but it felt so right there.
After we had a salad on the lake, we walked a while experiencing a hot spring (or summer) and we ended in a lounge on the lake, under a bridge (the 7 easy sea lounge!). The fresh juices in combination with the couch on which we laid down and enjoyed the view in a fresh environment was speechless! Not to forget the state of art washroom LOL.
Above all, Ascona has been so far the best place ever - place where you can retire and spend the rest of your life and enjoy everyday (at least when the weather is such a fairy tale :))
Later, we took a boat back to Locarno, where we checked in our hotel - La Palma Ramada. If I say that the terrace was bigger than the room I won't lie, but don't think that the room was a hole. Not at all! The view to the lake and the mountain was amazing!
If you are in Locarno, you should visit the Madonna del Sasso. The view - again amazing!
At the end of the day came with the search of a place for dinner. We went to the center of Locarno, where we didn't find a restaurant, but saw a Swiss folk Alphorn band :) There was a wedding and the alphorns band was playing. I can just imagine how difficult it is but the music was particular and special.

Finaly, we ended up on the terrace of Di Vino where the food was absolutely delicous! Apparently, we were hungry and had a salad, a main course of salmon and deserts and all tasted marvelous which made it the place of choice in Locarno!
Now, let me go back to the hotel. The view and conditions were first class... There was a boat that was crossing the lake and was probably with German tourists, because we were hearing German music from the 50s and 60s. But the unpleasant surprised came in the middle of the night, when I went to the bathroom and there was .... a cockroach.. huge and black! And this tupid insect ot animal (whatever you want to call it) was there on a different spot in the morning. Such "small" things can ruin the good opinion of a place! For those of you who know me it won't be a surprise, that I complained.. a few times incl a written complain on a form that was available in the hotel. But hey, we should help them get better, right :)

Sunday morning, we took a boat to the Brissigo island which is famous with its botanic garden - not a bad place, but the botanic garden is not something unique :) BUT.. I have to acknowledge the crystal clear water and the trees and flowers that were like growing in water probably because of the increased level of the lake (based on our absolutely unscientific point of view)

After that, we felt that we should go back to Ascona for lunch. And then again we ended up in 7 easy and its Mediterranean restaurant. The best salad in Switzerland I've had so far. The service - Canadian standard!!!! staff - speaking English!! YES!!! All was great!

Back to Locarno by boat, picking up the luggage and taking the train was the way back to Basel. At the beginning, it is horrific hot in the train! I was thinking how I'll send SBB a complaining email or so but the A/C began functioning at one point.

After a rush for the train from Zurich to Basel, both Milena and I examined our new shoes bought in Lugano. Believe it or not, they were like new.. not dirty at all after 2 days of walking in Switzerland. Nothing! They were like new. What can I say - Switzerland!

The unpleasant surprise was the rain on the way, although, I was so positive that I was so convinced that the sky looks grey because of the late hour and not the rain, but when I saw the water falling on the window, my dreams were broken, but what can you do - life!

I suppose it is not necessary to say that Monday morning, rainy Basel morning was tough morning but let's look forward the next trip in Switzerland :)

No comments:

Post a Comment