After arriving at the airport, a lady who is a relocation assistant for me met me and took me to fulfil the main necessary tasks. The registration with the authorities was first (and hearing the confirmation that I cannot leave the country until I received my residence permit); then came the bank and opening an account. The Swiss bank system is well-known but when you further realize the rules around you begin wondering where you are. Differences are interesting (let me put it this way) (although they do not need billions to make the system survive although the system creators don’t care). I was particularly amused when I asked about investments options and saving accounts and I was advised to keep the money I have currently in Can banks in Canada and the money I have with me to exchange for SFr. For a monthly fee – all transactions included (incl online banking) and if you havе a given limit (defined by each bank) – you get fee waiver. Credit cards – they DO take the money you owe every month from your bank account (at least in the bank where I was taken to open an account) and also, they will order my credit card after 2 months (or 2 transactions into the account); if this is not sufficient – they suggest you to put your picture on the back of the card.
Of course I bought a SIM card for my cell phone although it is not completely activated and they don’t know why (naturally I went and asked). Another important purchase was a card for
The lifestyle - pretty much everything is closed on Sunday (even most of the restaurants); I feel dizzy when looking at the opening hours of the stores (closing at 5pm, max 8 or 9 on Thus and Fri). Prices – some are quite a challenge, others are OK (compared to Toronto). In one store - 1 kg of apples – SFr4.20, 1kg of bananas – SFr 2.60 (note: SFr is pretty much equal to Can$). Bon appétit! But Starbucks pretty much knocked me out yesterday. I checked online that you have free internet at Starbuck and since I wanted to have a cup of coffee, decided to go. Well…. International experience – what can I say. Cup of tea – SFr 4.7-, double espresso – SFr 5.50; internet – limit for 30 min (you get a voucher when you buy your coffee or tea) ; Congratulation!
The city itself is beautiful; you can walk and walk and walk and won’t feel bored. For sure, when people come and visit me, I won’t have a problem to plan 2 or more days of sightseeing (something that was difficult in the case of Toronto, if you do not visit the ROM or the AGO or another museum/concert). Apparently, the Fasnacht carnival (a few weeks before Easter) starts on Sun and Monday is official holiday (for some people Tue and Wed as well) therefore, I will start work on Tue.
So, the exploring continues.

MMM just do not say that in Toronto anything to see)))) There are a lot of places:) but i am not going to argue with you.... I am glad to hear that you like your new city.
ReplyDelete