Monday, November 15, 2010

Notice periods and the Swiss way

You get really tired with the rules and particularities of Switzerland especially when it comes to rules and rules and notice periods. After the decision to move, I had to give notices and changes addresses and it is a pain! So here are a few examples of how rigid and inflexible the systems are:
-          Give notice of resignation. 3 months. Starting on 1st of the month following the month you notify the employer, hence, they say you have to quit end of the month. If you do at the beginning (as I did because I thought it starts on the day), you have to negotiate.
-          Notice for leaving your apartment. Same rule. If you want to leave prior, have to find someone who would move in. Although, the renting company should prepare the new contract and all on time and let you go.
-          Health insurance. Insanity at its best. Both basic and supplementary could be changed only once a year. Notice for basic should be given before Nov 30 and is effective Jan 1, notice for supplementary – given by Sept 1, effective Jan 1. If you want in between – forget about it!
-          House/liability insurance – when your contract expires. Before that – only change of address.
If I have to describe Swiss reality/life / people with one word only, it would be inflexibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment